Skip to content
Home » Law Office Study Blog » Law Office Study Question From China About How to Become a Lawyer With No Law School

Law Office Study Question From China About How to Become a Lawyer With No Law School

Law Book with Glasses

Below is a recent e-mail I received from a student studying abroad in Communist China. I asked permission of the poster, Mr. Yerger, and will respond to the question in advance as follows:

Yes, so long as you have the equivalent of two years college, or take and pass the CLEP, you are eligible to read for the law in California. Whether or not the committee of bar examiners will accept an LLM from China is an open question. I would contact Nathalie Hope at the California State Bar.

Even if it is not acceptable, just purchase the CLEP crash course books and take the CLEP exams required for admission to LOSP. You should have no problem acing the CLEP with your high level of education.

Michael Ehline,

I had recently read your article on taking the Bar w/o having a JD.
I am currently living in China and have been for 4 years now. I have high level of Chinese language ( speak , read , write)and am studying for my LLM(in Chinese business Law) in Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). I am looking to do exactly what you have stated in your article.

I also have an opportunity to “read law” at a firm in Shenzhen, China that deals with WFOE, joint venture companies doing business in China.

In your opinion, obtaining a LLM from CUHK and “Reading law” you think will be enough to pursue the Bar? From your article, it seems so.

This Fast track in appealing to me, as i am 28 now and only recently became financially stable to work on these things.

Thank you for your time,

Jamon Yerger
ABLE Battery
International Purchase Manager
+86 13670191120
Shenzhen, China 518110

Just keep in mind that you will still need to clerk for four years UNDER A CALIFORNIA ATTORNEY, while you are reading for the law in California.
How to Become a Lawyer with no Law School.